Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Learning to OBEY


What was that? Im sorry I cant hear you.... let me turn off the Television and put down my book and silence my phone and send the kids to play their video games into another room so I can give you my full attention.

Cant hear your best friend because of all the noise huh? I get that.... there are times I feel like shouting "can anybody hear me?" Then I am reminded Gods voice is in the stillness and quiet. He loves us and continues to speak, even through the noise.
Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him. Deuteronomy 13:4

Listen and cling to HIM! I love the thought, now, if I could just get my will to obey. So many things I know I ought to do and either have the excuse of time or finances or just out of being stubborn... stubborness! Have you ever tried to train a horse? 1200 pounds of sheer determination to do the exact opposite of what you want them to do... they desire to please us small humans really they do, but they are such scared animals. Animals that eventually will learn to trust. We have a lot in common with those big, stubborn animals... above is CoCo giving Shawn a tough time on a really hot July day. Neither of them wanted to give up on their will and determination and as a result they met eye to eye to duke it out.
I wonder what great things we could accomplish if I would just meet God....and trust Him fully.
I have been given many gifts and for that I am thankful. Between Shawn and I we can see someone do something once and figure out how to do it all by ourselves. Awesome right?
WRONG
See the problem is when you get good at doing things on your own... you end up doing life on your own. Separate from community.... relationships and eventually apart from God! Trusting only in yourself and your own gifts.
He calls us to be in relationships with one another. He wants us to rely Him and on the gifts of one another for completion of the body. Remember His Word says, what is the hand apart from the body and what good is the body without an arm etc.... we all come together for one purpose, to make a community and to be able to Worship Him. The creator of all things good!
In our busy-ness we forget to ask for help and even when we dont think we need help sometimes we need encouragement. Like the moment Shawn met CoCo and gave him eye contact and a gentle nudge in the right direction. Encouragement.
This is a time in my life where I am taking inventory.... counting my blessings and evaluating the people God has in my life and what gifts they have been given so together we can accomplish great things for the Kingdom of God. Imagine a World where we all work together in one mind with one common goal... and how much that would please Him and bring new members into Glory!
Apart from God in our busy lives we may accomplish the grocery list and getting the kids back and forth and the daily grind.... how much time would be wasted if we didnt take the time to notice the calling of the day because life was too loud to hear His voice? How many people have we missed loving? How many needs have we missed helping? How many people have we led astray because we "go to church on Sunday" and dont look any different Monday through Saturday?
Apart from God this trip to Romania would be a vacation.... thats it. An opportunity for our family to visit a foreign country and sample a foreign land and play around with a foreign language. Yet with Him as the leader and listening to His Voice traveling to Romania is life changing.
I want to hear the voice of our leader cheering us on as I imagine Him smiling and rejoicing with the angel chorus Singing Emmanuel, God is with us! Hosanna!
Its down to the wire.. literally! On March 8th Nicole, Henry, Luke, Michael and Don will leave America and travel to Romania on the first leg of the Mission. Preparing supplies and getting a taste of the Mission field anticipating our arrival on March 22. As we prepare Shawn, Candy, Shelby, Ian, Karlann, Alyx, Eli, Molly and Phil to meet them and finish the details of the "little things" like the teachings and crafts pray please that we be reminded the little things should have a place and the BIG things have a purpose. Lord, I want my busy life to be so quiet I can hear YOU above all the noise! Help us to prepare for the calling and not to clutter our lives with the gifts! Help us to trust you when our fears are so big and to meet your gentle eyes of encouragement as we seek you!

No comments:

Post a Comment