Thursday, April 5, 2012

Run to run, not to win!




Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. Hebrews 12:1
Run the race... I think its the word "race" that cause us to want to win. What are we running to win? What is the prize?
We visited a village, Mundra (sp) just outside Fagaras after a day of work. This was the village Shawn and Phil werent able to see because they stayed behind to get more work done at HOH. The village seemed close knit like a tight little community. The kids knew one another and sisters and brothers took care of the younger siblings... pretty much the norm. I think I mentioned to you before the littel girl that took care of her sisters muddy dress in the creek with her clean white sweater? Yea it was this village.... these kids were playing to WIN! See those faces in that pic? It was oozing competition in that duck duck goose circle!
A little competition is good.... keeps ya moving and on your toes. But what about running the race? Are you running the race with intention or runing to get there first, completely missing the obstacles along the way? Obstacles....
We shared the Bible story of David and Goliath with these kids... In the Bible Goliath is this huge guy chosen to be defeated... and the only one who stood up to defeat him was the smallest of them all.... David. He was laughed at. Mocked and pretty much chosen to die against Goliath. But little David took the gifts he knew he was good at and used those for the Kingdom saving an entire people group! Five little stones picked up to use as a weapon.. no armor.. just a little boy and his sling. One rock hits Goliath and knocks him to the ground and little David can reach him now.... beheading Goliath with Goliaths own sword!
David knew what he was capable of and had faith that his gifts would be enough. He ran that race well... being completely aware of the competition.
While in Romania.. we did a lot of running. From place to place, thought to next thought and one challenge to another. There is no room for selfish gain... we certainly arent running the race for our own prize. He calls us each to a different mission and purpose. Some carry the stones and some sling them. Its amazing what GOd chooses to reveal to you in His timing. I can see that He had each of us there for a purpose and loving those people well was the reason! Loving well means slowing down enough to be able to feel and touch and talk. Running the race full speed ahead would have us miss the point of the mission. Looking into their eyes and seeing the reflection of our Savior there, simply isnt worth missing.
I wondered if my little friend from Toarcla would remember me from last year. She was simply attached to my hip the entire time. She loved taking pictures with my camera and when we would speak to one another she would say in her precious little Romanian dialect "I dont understand" and she would shrug her shoulders and grab my hand which spoke more than words to my heart and her actions told me... its ok that we dont speak the same language just hold my hand and be here with me. She never left my side nor did she stop holding my hand.
I knew the winter had been brutal in Romania. I knew there was a chance that she wouldnt be there when we finally made it to Toarcla. As the car pulled up the dirt and rock road making the typical dust storm awareness that we were coming... I knew the kids would be making their way to the church to meet and greet us. I anxiously searched the small crowd of children that made it there ahead of the rest... desperately needing to see her face! She wasnt there.... I was saddened and took a deep breath to stay back the tears that seemed to be welling up in my eyes knowing that there was a group of children that needed attention and loving touches and eye contact and pushing on the swing.... but my heart called out to My Lord to bring her to me!
I turned toward the village road once again.... and I spotted her! Walking toward the church.. alone and slowly... She seemed to spot me as I was in front of the crowd smiling the BIGGEST smile my face could afford without bursting. Her step picked up a little more and then a little more until she was almost running towards me. She had the most beautiful smile I have ever seen other than the first smile of my children... My heart was covered with shear joy and all I felt was love... from places in myself that were alive more than ever before. I was completely alive! I knelt down to hug her and hold her and her eyes were so blue.... all I could do was hold her little face in my hands and look deep into her eyes searching for a slight glimpse that she remembered me... and I heard the voice of MY GOD say to my heart with a roar... Thats how I feel when my children run to me! God looks into our eyes with a hope that He would see that we know HIM! That we really know HIM! He searches the crowd for us... He turns to see if we are coming toward Him... waits for us to see Him and then to run to HIM! This is the race we run... the one that brings us closer to HIM! Not to win or get there first or to be better than anyone else or to have better gifts or serve in front for the pats on the back! NO... He simply wants us to run to HIM with every step leaping into His arms because we KNOW HIM! Oh how He loves us....
Once again this year... she never left my side. She enjoyed taking pictures with my camera and wouldnt let go of my hand... she wouldnt even share my hand with the others... The little Romanian I knew and the little English she knew werent even necessary to say the things we needed to communicate to one another. We have something in common, something that brings us together once a year on a dirt road after the snow is melted... Run to finish and Hear the words of our Savior... Well done Good and Faithful Servant! you ran the race well! He will call us each by name and make eye contact with us searching for His reflection!

No comments:

Post a Comment